Introduction to Traditional Medicine
What is the program about?
Alternative healing is popular almost in every corner of the world now and this program is a chance to learn about ancient medicinal healing methods practised in India. The Introduction to Traditional Medicine program explores ancient Indian methods for healing like Ayurveda, Naturopathy, Homeopathy, Unani and Siddhi. Traditional Medicine is becoming more popular around the world it is particularly effective in treating chronic lifestyle diseases without any side effects. In this program you will learn yoga and meditation techniques, shadow doctors in the outpatient clinics and observe alternative treatments such as hydro therapy, leech therapy, massages and Panchakarma.
Why should I attend?
If you are fascinated by holistic healing techniques like yoga, meditation and naturopathy then this program is just the thing for you.
Who can attend?
This program is ideal for pre-meds, medical students, public health students and nursing students or anyone who is interested in holistic healing practices.
Where is the program?
Malavli – a picturesque village in Maharashtra, just a few hours drive from Mumbai.
What should I expect to do on the program?
- Visit traditional medicine centers and study the philosophies behind Ayurveda, Yoga, Naturopathy Homeopathy
- Visit hospitals where ailments are managed by diet control, meditation and ayurveda. Hospitals also share some patient case histories & profiles for participants to go through to understand treatment options, and treatment durations in detail.
- Practice yoga and meditation
- Attend theoretical lectures and visit OPDs.
- Visit herbal medicinal gardens and pharmacies and see the manufacturing and packaging of medicines.
How can I make a difference?
In addition to learning about traditional medicine you can observe how these practices interact with Allopathic or Western methods and apply that knowledge to diagnose patients who may be receiving a combination of modern and traditional treatments.
What is the duration of the program?
Minimum 2 weeks
What are the costs?
Application Fee: USD 45
For individuals: USD 2361 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for a 2 week program, USD 598 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for every additional week
For Groups: USD 2145 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for a 2 week program, USD 533 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for every additional week. I am interested in forming a group. Tell me more.
How do I avail of the lowest cost?
If you can team up with 2 or more friends who are interested in the program, you can form a group to avail of our subsidized group prices. Click here to learn more about how to form groups.
You can also partner with BEYOND BORDERS to avail of our special institutional prices. To partner with BEYOND BORDERS write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Partner”.
We may have a scholarship available at this time. Click here to see if there is an exciting scholarship cost available!
What is included in the program fees?
The program fee includes the following:
- Pre departure orientation and support
- Airport pickup on arrival
- Transportation from Mumbai to Program site (in case the program site is different from Mumbai)
- Cultural adjustment, health and safety orientation.
- Program orientation and overview by qualified program personnel (Program Director/Academic Director/Sr. Program Managers)
- Local sim card on day of arrival
- Shared accommodation at BEYOND BORDERS guest houses. The accommodation at all BEYOND BORDERS program locations is secure, centrally located and basic but comfortable.
- Most BEYOND BORDERS guest houses have power backup, hot water, modern amenities, internet access, television, a well equipped kitchen, day staff for cooking and cleaning .
- Three meals a day: Indian vegetarian meals. BEYOND BORDERS does not serve meat at guest houses for health and hygiene reasons. Often curries or breakfast might include eggs. Vegan meals can also be arranged on request.
- Support during program activities and monitoring (Program activities are Monday to Friday. Weekends are free for students’ personal travel).
- Weekly reviews of the program with qualified program personnel (Program Director/Program Manager/Academic Director). This includes reviews of the participants learning, contribution to placement organization, facilities, logistics and program content.
- Help/support/certification in completing participant’s requirements for academic credit.
- 24 Hour emergency support (7 days a week).
The cost does NOT include:
- Any overnight accommodation in Mumbai if your flight arrives before program date.
- Daily local transportation. (Proper guidance will be provided to participants on how to use local transport systems.)
- Air ticket to India, visa fees and any travel insurance will be the responsibility of the student.
- Weekend and overnight excursions outside the program activities will have to be paid by the students directly.
- Expenses of personal nature like table drinks, fruits, juices, other snacks or personal preference meal items, mineral water, international telephone calls, or any other expenses which are not included in the above list, would be borne by the students.
- Airport Drop at the end of the program is not included in program cost.