Educate and Make a Difference
What is a SPEED program?
Go, Give, Engage with our low-cost, hight-impact SPEED programs!
Like our other programs, a SPEED program allows you to travel, experience and learn – for durations as short as 1 week any time through the year. Chose a SPEED program today to gain vailuable experiential learning while spending less time and money!
What is the program about?
This is your chance to get hands-on experience in the shortest possible time. Work directly with kids in rural schools and orphanages, teaching them English, Math, Science, Art, Craft, Music or Social Sciences, designing teaching aids and working with teachers to introduce new learning techniques to them. India faces a number of challenges that have resulted in a low literacy rate and this program allows you to make a difference in some major problem areas.
"Despite a major improvement in literacy rates during the 1990s, the number of children who are not in school remains high. Gender disparities in education persist: far more girls than boys fail to complete primary school. ..There are also concerns relating to teacher training, the quality of the curriculum, assessment of learning achievements and the efficacy of school management. Given the scarcity of quality schools, many children drop out before completing five years of primary education; many of those who stay on learn little."- UNICEF
Why should I attend?
If you love working with kids and want to make a difference to their lives through education and innovative learning techniques, then this is the program for you.
Who can attend?
You could be a student of social work, liberal arts, social sciences or just someone who wants to gain experience while making a difference.
Where is the program?
Malavli – a picturesque village in Maharashtra, just a few hours drive from Mumbai
What can I do on the program
- Conduct classes in local schools and orphanages independently.
- Design teaching aids for English, Math, Science, Art, Craft, Music and Social Sciences in village schools.
- Work with the teachers on creative learning techniques to improve learning outcomes among students.
- Serve children with special needs in local special needs schools.
How can I make a difference?
India’s low literacy rate can be attributed to many factors like poor quality of schools, improper management, inadequate learning aids and the fact that most of the time there aren’t enough resources to train the teachers themselves. You can volunteer your time to make a difference in any of these problem areas by introducing both teachers and children to better learning techniques and help create an exciting environment for students so they stay in school.
What is the duration of the program?
Minimum 1 week up to 6 weeks
What are the costs?
Application Fee: USD 45
For Individuals: USD 681 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for the 1st week. USD 565 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for every additional week
For Groups: USD 611 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for the 1st week. USD 555 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for every additional week (4 or more participants) I am interested in forming a group. Tell me more.
How do I avail of the lowest cost?
If you can team up with 2 or more friends who are interested in the program, you can form a group to avail of our subsidized group prices. Click here to learn more about how to form groups.
You can also partner with BEYOND BORDERS to avail of our special institutional prices. To partner with BEYOND BORDERS write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Partner”.
We may have a scholarship available at this time. Click here to see if there is an exciting scholarship cost available!
What is included in the program fees?
The program fee includes the following:
- Pre departure orientation and support
- Airport pickup on arrival
- Transportation from Mumbai to Program site (in case the program site is different from Mumbai)
- Cultural adjustment, health and safety orientation.
- Program orientation and overview by qualified program personnel (Program Director/Academic Director/Sr. Program Managers)
- Local sim card on day of arrival
- Shared accommodation at BEYOND BORDERS guest houses. The accommodation at all BEYOND BORDERS program locations is secure, centrally located and basic but comfortable.
- Most BEYOND BORDERS guest houses have power backup, hot water, modern amenities, internet access, television, a well equipped kitchen, day staff for cooking and cleaning .
- Three meals a day: Indian vegetarian meals. BEYOND BORDERS does not serve meat at guest houses for health and hygiene reasons. Often curries or breakfast might include eggs. Vegan meals can also be arranged on request.
- Support during program activities and monitoring (Program activities are Monday to Friday. Weekends are free for students’ personal travel).
- Weekly reviews of the program with qualified program personnel (Program Director/Program Manager/Academic Director). This includes reviews of the participants learning, contribution to placement organization, facilities, logistics and program content.
- Help/support/certification in completing participant’s requirements for academic credit.
- 24 Hour emergency support (7 days a week).
The cost does NOT include:
- Any overnight accommodation in Mumbai if your flight arrives before program date.
- Daily local transportation. (Proper guidance will be provided to participants on how to use local transport systems.)
- Air ticket to India, visa fees and any travel insurance will be the responsibility of the student.
- Weekend and overnight excursions outside the program activities will have to be paid by the students directly.
- Expenses of personal nature like table drinks, fruits, juices, other snacks or personal preference meal items, mineral water, international telephone calls, or any other expenses which are not included in the above list, would be borne by the students.
- Airport Drop at the end of the program is not included in program cost.