Film and Media Program
What is the program about?
Set in the bustling metropolis of Mumbai, this program is a life changing insight into the world of cinema. Attend film shoots, meet with film professionals, visit post-production studios and work on a student project during the course of 4 weeks to learn about the inner workings of Bollywood first-hand!
Why should I attend?
If you’re fascinated by the world of cinema and have always dreamt of coming to Bollywood- the land of grand song and dance sequences and elaborate sets and costumes- the Film and Media Program is just the thing for you.
Who can attend?
If you are a student of Media, Liberal Arts or simply someone with a passion for cinema, this might be the right program for you.
Where is the program?
What should I expect to do on the program?
Informational lectures and meetings: Students have one-on-one meetings with directors, cameramen, scriptwriters, producers and actors. They get to interact with industry professionals in their own environment. This gives students an understanding of the processes and people involved in the making of a film; including production, direction, post production, finance and distribution.
Attend Shoots: Students spend a few days on a film set to get a behind-the-scenes view into the world of set designers, prop houses, casting directors, production executives, action directors, stunt masters, make-up artists, fashion designers, lighting men, spot boys, music directors and other cast and crew. Shoots include those of films, television and reality shows and sometimes ad films.
Post Production: Students also visit post production studios to see editing, color correction, visual effects, audio post and background music and song recordings.
Student Project: All students have to work on and submit a project. This project is designed in consultation with the Academic Director keeping in mind the student’s individual interest and skills. The project usually takes a week to ten days to complete and ensures that the student is not merely a passive observer but an active participant. This project will deepen the students learning and help them reflect on their 4 week experience.
What is the duration of the program?
Don't have 4 weeks for this program?
Try our Film and Media SPEED Program. The brilliance and chaos of Bollywood condensed into an exciting 2 week program with a weekend outing to Rural India.
At $ 2,000 or even less! Click here for more information
What are the costs?
Application Fee: USD 45
For individuals: USD 3695 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for a 4 week program
For Groups: USD 3395 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for a 4 week program. I am interested in forming a group. Tell me more.
How do I avail of the lowest cost?
If you can team up with 2 or more friends who are interested in the program, you can form a group to avail of our subsidized group prices. Click here to learn more about how to form groups.
You can also partner with BEYOND BORDERS to avail of our special institutional prices. To partner with BEYOND BORDERS write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Partner”.
We may have a scholarship available at this time. Click here to see if there is an exciting scholarship cost available!
What is included in the program fees?
The program fee includes the following:
- Pre departure orientation and support
- Airport pickup on arrival
- Transportation from Mumbai to Program site (in case the program site is different from Mumbai)
- Cultural adjustment, health and safety orientation.
- Program orientation and overview by qualified program personnel (Program Director/Academic Director/Sr. Program Managers)
- Local sim card on day of arrival
- Shared accommodation at BEYOND BORDERS guest houses. The accommodation at all BEYOND BORDERS program locations is secure, centrally located and basic but comfortable.
- Most BEYOND BORDERS guest houses have power backup, hot water, modern amenities, internet access, television, a well equipped kitchen, day staff for cooking and cleaning .
- Three meals a day: Indian vegetarian meals. BEYOND BORDERS does not serve meat at guest houses for health and hygiene reasons. Often curries or breakfast might include eggs. Vegan meals can also be arranged on request.
- Support during program activities and monitoring (Program activities are Monday to Friday. Weekends are free for students’ personal travel).
- Weekly reviews of the program with qualified program personnel (Program Director/Program Manager/Academic Director). This includes reviews of the participants learning, contribution to placement organization, facilities, logistics and program content.
- Help/support/certification in completing participant’s requirements for academic credit.
- 24 Hour emergency support (7 days a week).
The cost does NOT include:
- Any overnight accommodation in Mumbai if your flight arrives before program date.
- Daily local transportation. (Proper guidance will be provided to participants on how to use local transport systems.)
- Air ticket to India, visa fees and any travel insurance will be the responsibility of the student.
- Weekend and overnight excursions outside the program activities will have to be paid by the students directly.
- Variable student project expenses are not included. These include
- Equipment hire including cameras, lights, camera stands, grips, dollies etc. We encourage students to bring their own cameras for this purpose. The project focuses on narrative, story and does not put too much emphasis on technique. Hence, simple DSLRs or HD cameras found on smartphones, tabs or automatic cameras can easily be used. You can address your queries about these to the academic director of the program through email@example.com
- Professional Talent.
- Props, sets, costumes and any other shooting expenses
- Location Hire. Mostly payable if shooting in studios or professional shoot locations
- We provide 10-12 hours of editing time on a Final Cut Pro (FCP) with a trained editor/operator. Additional hours are billed at a nominal cost.
- Expenses of personal nature like table drinks, fruits, juices, other snacks or personal preference meal items, mineral water, international telephone calls, or any other expenses which are not included in the above list, would be borne by the students.
- Airport Drop at the end of the program is not included in program cost.