Healthcare in the Himalayas
Introducing BEYOND BORDERS's North India Programs
With the Himalayas, diverse cultures, stunning landscapes and world-class hospitality North India has always been a favorite destination for tourists from all over the world. BEYOND BORDERS takes you into the heart of North India where you can learn, volunteer and experience the best India has to offer! Our North India programs are designed with the same attention to detail, safety and experiential learning as the programs we have been running for the past 7 years.
What is the program about?
In this program you get an opportunity to work in local government as well as charitable hospitals and small private clinics in rural areas, and accompany mobile health vans to interior villages. You can also attend OPDs of specialist departments and observe surgeries in hospitals.
“When it comes to healthcare, there are two Indias: the country that provides high-quality medical care to middle-class Indians and medical tourists, and the India in which the majority of the population lives- a country, whose residents have limited or no access to quality care. Today only 25% of the Indian population has access to Western (allopathic) medicine, which is practiced mainly in urban areas…Many of the rural poor must rely on alternative forms of treatment, such as ayurvedic medicine, unani and acupuncture.” – PricewaterhouseCooper
Why should I attend?
The health care sector in India lacks skilled manpower, both in quality and number. This inadequacy is felt all the more in rural areas and the poor infrastructure makes accessibility to medical facilities very difficult. If you wish to gain clinical experience in difficult conditions, observe healthcare delivery systems in rural areas and understand diagnostic practices in remote areas without sufficient manpower/technology this is the program for you.
Who can attend?
You could be a pre-med, medical student, public health student, nursing student, medical / nursing professional or part of the allied medical sciences. Students with no clinical skills or experience but who wish to observe and gain an understanding of Rural Healthcare can also apply.
Where is the program?
What should I expect to do on the program?
- Gain an understanding of the healthcare scenario in India- the challenges it faces and the intricacies of the public health system.
- Go on hospital rotations and work in private clinics and government hospitals that provide health care services to poor patients. Shadow doctors in outpatient clinics, accompany them on hospital rounds and observe surgeries.
- The HIV / AIDS interventions are targeted towards migrant workers, fishermen, truck drivers, and youth in colleges and high schools. You can help with check-ups as well as help out with documentation, putting together training materials, grant proposals and reports for social workers.
- Work in health camps organized in the villages. In the past, participants have conducted health camps for over 3000 children in 3 months!
What is the duration of the program?
Minimum 2 weeks
What are the costs?
Application Fee: USD 45
For individuals: USD 2174 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for a 2 week program, USD 652 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for every additional week
For Groups: USD 2074 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for a 2 week program, USD 582 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for every additional week. I am interested in forming a group. Tell me more.
How do I avail of the lowest cost?
If you can team up with 2 or more friends who are interested in the program, you can form a group to avail of our subsidized group prices. Click here to learn more about how to form groups.
You can also partner with BEYOND BORDERS to avail of our special institutional prices. To partner with BEYOND BORDERS write to us email@example.com with the subject line “Partner”.
We may have a scholarship available at this time. Click here to see if there is an exciting scholarship cost available!
What is included in the program fees?
The program fee includes the following:
- Pre departure orientation and support
- Airport pickup on arrival
- Transportation from Delhi to Program site (in case the program site is different from Delhi)
- Cultural adjustment, health and safety orientation.
- Program orientation and overview by qualified program personnel (Program Director/Academic Director/Sr. Program Managers)
- Local sim card on day of arrival
- Shared accommodation at BEYOND BORDERS guest houses. The accommodation at all BEYOND BORDERS program locations is secure, centrally located and basic but comfortable.
- Most BEYOND BORDERS guest houses have power backup, hot water, modern amenities, internet access, television, a well equipped kitchen, day staff for cooking and cleaning .
- Three meals a day: Indian vegetarian meals. BEYOND BORDERS does not serve meat at guest houses for health and hygiene reasons. Often curries or breakfast might include eggs. Vegan meals can also be arranged on request.
- Support during program activities and monitoring (Program activities are Monday to Friday. Weekends are free for students’ personal travel).
- Weekly reviews of the program with qualified program personnel (Program Director/Program Manager/Academic Director). This includes reviews of the participants learning, contribution to placement organization, facilities, logistics and program content.
- Help/support/certification in completing participant’s requirements for academic credit.
- 24 Hour emergency support (7 days a week).
The cost does NOT include:
- Any overnight accommodation in Delhi or program location if your flight arrives before program date.
- Daily local transportation. (Proper guidance will be provided to participants on how to use local transport systems.)
- Air ticket to India, visa fees and any travel insurance will be the responsibility of the student.
- Weekend and overnight excursions outside the program activities will have to be paid by the students directly.
- Expenses of personal nature like table drinks, fruits, juices, other snacks or personal preference meal items, mineral water, international telephone calls, or any other expenses which are not included in the above list, would be borne by the students.
- Airport Drop at the end of the program is not included in program cost.