Design Abroad Program
What is the program about?
Design Abroad program offers students with design thought to gain an in-depth understanding of the local culture through exploration, observation and other design tools. Students get a chance to meaningfully Engage, Ideate, Prototype and Co-Design with rural communities to help improve the sustainability of specific projects by developing design solutions that are innovative, appropriate and implementable.
Why should I attend?
If you are passionate about design, interested in participatory design and wish to design a sustainable project to make a difference in a rural community, then this is program is just meant for you.
Who can attend?
This program is ideal for students from all faculties of design such as space & architectural design, industrial design, graphic design, advertising and communication design, interactive and visual design and other allied design professionals.
Where is the program?
Malavli and South Goa
What should I expect to do on the program?
- Visit local organizations that work with rural communities on different levels.
- Understand their requirements for a specific project.
- Ideate and prototype a design solution.
- Engage with the local organization as well as the rural community in a collaborative design project.
- Implement the design project.
What is the duration of the program?
What is included in the program fees?
The program fee includes the following:
- Pre departure orientation and support
- Airport pickup on arrival
- Transportation from Mumbai to Program site (in case the program site is different from Mumbai)
- Cultural adjustment, health and safety orientation.
- Program orientation and overview by qualified program personnel (Program Director/Academic Director/Sr. Program Managers)
- Local sim card on day of arrival
- Shared accommodation at BEYOND BORDERS guest houses. The accommodation at all BEYOND BORDERS program locations is secure, centrally located and basic but comfortable.
- Most BEYOND BORDERS guest houses have power backup, hot water, modern amenities, internet access, television, a well equipped kitchen, day staff for cooking and cleaning.
- Three meals a day: Indian vegetarian meals. BEYOND BORDERS does not serve meat at guest houses for health and hygiene reasons. Often curries or breakfast might include eggs. Vegan meals can also be arranged on request
- Support during program activities and monitoring (Program activities are Monday to Friday. Weekends are free for students’ personal travel).
- Weekly reviews of the program with qualified program personnel (Program Director/Program Manager/Academic Director). This includes reviews of the participants learning, contribution to placement organization, facilities, logistics and program content.
- Help/support/certification in completing participant’s requirements for academic credit.
- 24 Hour emergency support (7 days a week).
- Airport Drop at the end of program only for groups.
The cost does NOT include:
- Any overnight accommodation in Mumbai if your flight arrives before program date.
- Daily local transportation. (Proper guidance will be provided to participants on how to use local transport systems.)
- Air ticket to India, visa fees and any travel insurance will be the responsibility of the student.
- Weekend and overnight excursions outside the program activities will have to be paid by the students directly.
- Variable student project expenses are not included. These include
- Equipment hire including cameras, lights, camera stands, grips, dollies etc. We encourage students to bring their own cameras for this purpose. The project focuses on narrative, story and does not put too much emphasis on technique. Hence, simple DSLRs or HD cameras found on smartphones, tabs or automatic cameras can easily be used. You can address your queries about these to the academic director of the program through email@example.com
- Professional Talent.
- Props, sets, costumes and any other shooting expenses
- Location Hire. Mostly payable if shooting in studios or professional shoot locations
- We provide 10-12 hours of editing time on a Final Cut Pro (FCP) with a trained editor/operator. Additional hours are billed at a nominal cost.
- Expenses of personal nature like table drinks, fruits, juices, other snacks or personal preference meal items, mineral water, international telephone calls, or any other expenses which are not included in the above list, would be borne by the students.
- Airport Drop at the end of the program is not included in program cost for individuals.